We are a couple of gals who have decided to embark on a journey together of preparing for a 30 mile Limited Distance ride. The Pink Flamingo ride takes place on August 7 and 8th 2010... maybe this is the start of something new for us both!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Big Day 8.07.10

The Big Day dawned earlier than any day I can remember. Excitement was good medicine. In spite of only having a few hours' sleep I think my eyes might have even been working before 8AM!


Lyn and Katy were pretty cold. I think Excitement kept me warm!


We tacked up and rode out 5 min after the start time. We left late on purpose. Our hope was to miss out on all of the congestion and excitement of the beginning of the race. Delight and Tia had plenty of energy and were raring to go!

I think the hardest part of both rides was the first several miles of this morning. Neither of our horses were used to passing and being passed by other horses, and both of our horses have a drive to win the race. We spent the first, oh 10 miles or so ( ! ) trying to get them to settle into a steady pace.



The first loop was nearly 22 miles long and it was up and down and around the mountainside. One of the fine arts of endurance riding is learning to pace your horse. We rode this first loop very conservatively, in fact almost too conservatively.  We had to ride the second loop much faster in order to complete the ride in the time allowed.



Here are the girls in front of a lake we rode to in the middle of the woods. We got off and led them to the water for a drink. I don't think either of them has been to a deep body of water before. Tia walked right in and nearly pulled Sandra in with her! Luckily they avoided falling in all together. I think Delight would have walked in as well but I learned from Tia's example and didn't let her go for a swim!

 Seeing the ride camp through the trees for the first time was an amazing experience. We had never ridden so far or so fast up to this point. Twenty two miles! Wow. I felt like I had already won the race!

We went through the vet check without any problems. Delight got all A's on her vet card except for one B for gut sounds. I was so happy for us! It was just beginning to dawn on me what an absolutely amazing equine partner that I have in my Delight.

We had a 50 min hold before we were allowed to begin the second loop. Our mares both still had plenty of energy. I was surprised that they didn't act more tired. Our many miles of preparation and training were already beginning to show their effects.


During the hold we realized that we only had something like an hour and a half to finish the ride in time. Our conservative first loop almost cost us the ride! Luckily I had timed a ten mile training ride and had an idea of how fast we had to go - and it was faster than Sandra and I had ever ridden together. I said, "We can do it!" Sandra agreed, and off we went.


The minutes slipped by quickly as we rode the loop. Soon there was only fifteen minutes left, then ten. I was beginning to think that we weren't going to make it on time. In my mind I was already trying to put a salve on my disappointment when we looked up and saw the road back to camp.

 "Oh my God we are going to MAKE it!!"

 There were just a few minutes left! We urged our horses into a canter and they were happy to oblige. We crossed the finish line with THREE minutes to spare!

I was laughing and smiling and nearly crying all at once! Tom and the kids, Katy and Lyn were all there and they cheered when they saw us. Sandra and I hugged and hugged. It was the realization of a dream.

The Girls sailed through their vet check for the second time; all A's with one B again for gut sounds. In spite of how fast  we had ridden this loop and the canter for the last mile both horses were still in excellent condition!

WE DID IT!!

It was a marvelous experience, so difficult and so rewarding... and yet there was much more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment