We are a couple of gals who have decided to embark on a journey together of preparing for a 30 mile Limited Distance ride. The Pink Flamingo ride takes place on August 7 and 8th 2010... maybe this is the start of something new for us both!

Friday, July 16, 2010

10 Fast Miles

Yesterday I rode Delight for 10 "fast" miles. Compared to a real endurance horse it wasn't fast at all, "only" 6 mph. Big time endurance horses travel anywhere from 8-18mph! It took us about an hour and 45 minutes. We trotted most of the way with a few canters and a few walks in there too. Two times we just stopped to stand underneath the sprinklers in the field. I am glad Delight didn't mind the sprinklers because they were so refreshing!

When we finished Delight's pulse was 72bpm - the highest I have ever recorded it after a ride. Forty minutes later it was 48bpm, still higher than her normal of 40-44 but very close.

For the most part of the ride I let Delight set the pace herself. She really loves to go! She really didn't act like she wanted to slow much until mile 9. In retrospect I wish I would have cut out some of the cantering and finished closer to 2 hours.

I am beginning to think that if we ride a conservative ride at the Flamingo that we will be just fine.

Char

No comments:

Post a Comment