We are a couple of gals who have decided to embark on a journey together of preparing for a 30 mile Limited Distance ride. The Pink Flamingo ride takes place on August 7 and 8th 2010... maybe this is the start of something new for us both!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Terrific Ride

I had a dream one night when I was a teenager (many, many moons ago). When I woke up I decided then that it was the best dream I had ever had.

I have had a few dreams since then, and some pretty wonderful ones too but I have always remembered this one from so long ago.

It looked something like this picture. A beautiful white horse running along a green tree lined meadow. Not a fence in sight. I remember gliding along in the air beside him and then riding him full gallop.

Such a short dream, but the grace and idyllic beauty of it is still with me 30 years later!

Yesterday we rode in a meadow lined with trees all around. The day was bright and beautiful and so were our mares. When we cantered the dream became real. I wasn't riding a big white horse, just my little red Morgan, and I didn't actually fly (that I know of!) but I swear it was so wonderful that it felt like I was dreaming!

Training for this LD has put my riding on a steep learning curve. I have never cantered so long or trotted so far in my adult life. I am learning my seat and my cues by using them - over and over and over!

Sandra shared with me some of the things she used to do with her horses as a kid... most notably swinging up behind a rider flying by and galloping across fields on her horse bareback and in a halter. I remember things too; mostly how I used to just DO it without fear and without thinking twice about it.

The last few years I have struggled some with what I have dubbed AOF - Adult Onset Fear. And it truly has been a struggle. I rarely cantered and then only when the planets were aligned properly.  Training for this ride is teaching me to just get out there and DO it again!

Such freedom I feel, and such gratitude I have for this season in my life!

Char

No comments:

Post a Comment