We are a couple of gals who have decided to embark on a journey together of preparing for a 30 mile Limited Distance ride. The Pink Flamingo ride takes place on August 7 and 8th 2010... maybe this is the start of something new for us both!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Random Thoughts

Suddenly, and unexpectedly, I feel overwhelmed by this adventure Char and I have embarked on. So much to learn, so much to remember, so much to do! It's hard to swallow the fact that the older I get the more scatter-brained I become. Frustrating. Or, perhaps because I'm tired tonight I feel stressed. Got to ride more, and longer, according to Sally Tarbet. OK, when to fit it in between work, husband, children, dog, cooking, cleaning, bill paying, yard maintenance, etc., etc. One thing gets done and another doesn't. Where's the respite? Oh yes, it's riding Tia on a beautiful day in Idaho. Circular thinking.


Rode 15 miles yesterday, July 11, with Char and Nancy. Michelle rode with us for the first loop but deferred on the second after Ty worked himself into a lather holding back with Tara on tired little Derby. There's still lots of green in the Emmett hills and we're nearly half-way through July! I suspect it will begin to dry out and turn brown in the next few weeks, considering how hot it's been. Mid to upper 90s. Whew! The earlier we start the better. At least there's a sweet breeze on the ridgelines.


Char and I had planned to do a conditioning ride before the trailride yesterday, but things didn't turn out quite that way. It's just that the larger the group, the more variables come into play. Even with just five horses and riders yesterday became more of a challenge and workout than I expected. My horse is so peculiar. She's fine with just one other horse/rider but goes totally right-brained when more are added. Consequently I work non-stop to manage our ride, and if it's a long one I go home physically and mentally drained. I suspect this actually hinders our preparation. Char and I talked about this yesterday afternoon and acknowledged to ourselves that we must set better boundaries and limits if we're to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment