We are a couple of gals who have decided to embark on a journey together of preparing for a 30 mile Limited Distance ride. The Pink Flamingo ride takes place on August 7 and 8th 2010... maybe this is the start of something new for us both!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Eagle Island State Park, 7/7/2010

I am still on cloud nine! This has been about the best day I've had in a long time, and the most fun I've had with Tia ever!!! Char and I trailered over to Eagle Island State Park mid day, and rode for a couple of hours or so. It's not too far from the barn, so easily accessed on short notice or if time is limited. I paid for a season pass for my truck...now we can go any time we want and not worry about finding five dollars each time.

The horses were the tiniest bit reluctant to load in my straight-load trailer, but with patience we succeeded, and off we went. Char, I like that you aren't one of those people who are in a big hurry to get a horse into a trailer. I hate forcing Tia in, and would rather give up a ride and practice trailer loading, if that's what it took.

We weren't prepared for the swarms of mosquitos we encountered at the park. There was a lot of standing water on and near our trails which, of course, we wanted our girls to walk through, LOL! So with every step we unleashed a new assault on us and the horses. Little kamikaze dive bombers having at us nonstop. AND, not only did we forget to spray the horses for bugs, but we forgot anything to protect ourselves. Next time we'll be prepared, for sure.

The trail was rocky in parts, but most of it was flat and smooth, either nice two track or grassy meadows. We came off one little trail into a lovely meadow that had recently been mown, baled, and hauled away. It must have been three to five acres, split into two sections by an irrigation ditch. Perfect place to do some serious trotting. And before we knew it our horses were both floating across the grass in a happy canter! I was so pleased with Tia. She took up the canter on her own initiative and maintained a nice steady pace all the way across. We've not done too much cantering together so I was cautious and ready for anything, but except for one little moment of right-brained emoting on Tia's part we just had a glorious romp! I'm convinced Tia loved it as much as I, and as I found my 'canter seat' so to speak and the right amount of contact on the reins, we both became more confident. Tia even transitioned into a canter at my signal at least once! Geez, I'm so pumped up I can hardly find the right words!

Char had her endomondo on and working for us during most of the ride so we collected some good data about time and distance. We think we did 7-8 miles today. Not bad. Without my glasses I'm blind as a bat any more so I wasn't much help at reading the thing, but she's figuring it out pretty well. We also tried for pulse before and after our ride, but I don't think either of us is convinced we have that buttoned down just yet. In addition to being blind, I can't hear worth a damn any more, so it was hard to even find a pulse, let alone stay on it for fifteen seconds. Getting older really stinks! Well, we think Ti had the same pulse, 44bpm, before, immediately after, and upon return to the barn. Delight was at something like 36, 44, 32 if I remember correctly. Yeah Char, my short term memory is gone too. See what you have to look forward to? And let's see, your birthday is when? Ha ha!

So that's my version of our Eagle Island ride this afternoon, and I'm sticking with it! Can hardly wait for our next adventure!

Char also brought along copies of a training article she found, and a calendar to record our information on. Thanks Char.

2 comments:

  1. One of the best parts of today's ride was that we did it together. So much more fun than going it alone. We also got to share our adventure with Pat, Lyn, and Nancy, eagerly waiting for us when we got back to the barn. Sharing is fun! The comraderie is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was one of the best rides EVAH! I feel like every time I am riding my horse lately that I am shattering old "I can'ts".

    I too appreciate you encouragement and companionship Sandra! All I need now is a big 'ole Aye-rab who can keep up with Tia! ;) She is going to be a mile munching machine!

    ReplyDelete